What’s up everyone! Welcome to the wrestling news August 3 2015 edition!
- During Monday Night Raw, WWE Diva Naomi referenced Ronda Rousey, whom the company hopes will be taking part in WrestleMania 32 live from Dallas, Texas. On Ronda being the “The Baddest Woman On The Planet,” Naomi said it is Untrue. “Team B.A.D.,” are “The Baddest Women On The Planet.”
- The 4-Hour Spectacular
SummerfestSummerSlam, scheduled for Sunday August 23, 2015 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York just had a major match added to it. On Monday Night Raw, Seth Rollins issued a challenge to John Cena as he proposed a Champion Vs. Champion, Winner Takes All Match. WWE World Heavyweight Champion Seth Rollins vs WWE United States Champion John Cena!
— MSG (@TheGarden) August 3, 2015
- Bret Hart comments on Roddy Piper, Randy Savage and Hulk Hogan in an interview with Sports Illustrated: “Roddy and Macho Man were leaders in the dressing room. think of guys like Hogan, they never did anything for anyone. Hogan came to his private locker room with the star on the door and no one was allowed to knock on the door.”
- Press release issued by WWE:
DOSOMETHING.ORG AND WWE TAKE ON BULLYING FOR SECOND STRAIGHT YEARNew York, NY – August 3, 2015 – DoSomething.org, one of the largest global organizations for young people and social change, and global entertainment company WWE and its Be a STAR anti-bullying initiative, are teaming up for The Bully Text: Superstar Edition. The campaign, now in its second year, gets young people to take action around bullying by playing an SMS text message game.From today until Monday, August 31, young people can virtually work their way through six levels of scenarios with guidance from WWE Superstars and Divas, including Roman Reigns®, Dean Ambrose®, Paige®, Natalya® and Alicia Fox®. Then, each player is given options to stand up and speak out against bullying. For example, “You sit behind Roman. Someone in the back of the bus keeps throwing paper airplanes at him. Do you A) Play it cool- it’s not your fight or B) play Superman?” Along the way, players will see how their anti-bullying skills compare to others, and ultimately whether they’ve earned the WWE World Heavyweight Championship title in bullying prevention. Every player will also receive the chance to win a Be a STAR rally at his or her school or community center.“WWE’s massive reach and stellar talent have helped us activate thousands of young people around anti-bullying,” said Naomi Hirabayashi, chief marketing officer at DoSomething.org. “We’re excited to rally WWE fans around this issue for year two to make it bigger and better than ever!”
“We are proud to once again partner with DoSomething.org and provide thousands with resources to help put an end to bullying in their communities,” said Stephanie McMahon, WWE Chief Brand Officer. “Utilizing our global assets and larger than life WWE Superstars and Divas, we are confident that this campaign will help educate young people on the dangers of bullying and encourage them to stand up for themselves and others.”
In 2014, nearly 100,000 young people played the Bully Text game. To play Bully Text this year, text BULLY to 38383 or visit DoSomething.org/bully*.
- Brian Fritz of Between The Ropes issued the following:I’m hoping that you can help spread the word on the GoFundMe campaign that has just started to help former TNA X-Division, ECW World and Ring of Honor champion Jerry Lynn.http://www.gofundme.com/helpjerrylynnJerry is one of the best guys you will ever meet in and out of wrestling. Plus, he had a fantastic 25-year career putting on exciting wrestling matches that have thrilled so many of us. All those years of taking bumps have taken a toll on him and he needs our help. We’re looking to raise money for his medical bills with a Go Fund Me campaign at GoFundMe.com/helpjerrylynn. Jerry has been experiencing chronic neck pain as well as pain in his right arm and numbness. The first procedure will be neck surgery to remove bones spurs, replace three degenerative discs, and fuse his vertebrae. He will be having this procedure done on Thursday, August 6.Jerry has also been suffering with severe pain in his back for the last three months due to a bulging disc. He will likely need surgery for this as well, and he hopes to have that done as soon as possible following his neck surgery. Jerry does have medical insurance, but he needs help in paying the $5,000 deductible. Plus, he will be out of work recovering for 2-3 months, which will put a hardship on his family, including his wife and young daughter. It is time for us as a wrestling community to pull together and give back to Jerry after everything he has done for us, his fans.To help cover all of his expenses, we are hoping to raise $15,000. Jerry would like to give anything over that amount to charity to help others in need. The charity he has chosen is the Nashville Rescue Mission which seeks to help the hurting of Middle Tennessee by offering food, clothing, and shelter to the homeless and recovery programs to those enslaved in life degrading problems. This is our moment to give back and help one of the truly great guys. Please go to www.GoFundMe.com/helpjerrylynn and donate — any amount will help.
- GFW Wrestling has announced that Jeff Hardy will be making an appearance at the Grand Slam Tour Event on August 14th. The show is scheduled to take place at BB&T ballpark in Winston-Salem, North Carolina.
- Matt Boone of Rajah.com reports: “Funeral services for the late “Rowdy” Roddy Piper, who passed away at age 61 last week from cardiac arrest will take place in Portland, Oregon on Wednesday, August 12th. WWE will be in the Portland area for a SmackDown television taping that week, so it’s possible that the services were delayed to allow Piper’s WWE associates and friends to attend.”
- There is a rumor that UFC might put on a show at AT&T Stadium in December, which would feature Conor McGregor and Ronda Rousey. With the AT&T Stadium being the home of WrestleMania 32 next year, talks of whom would outdraw whom between WWE and UFC have come up. Jim Ross weighed in on those talks:
“Putting Rousey and Conor McGregor on the same card in December in Arlington, Texas is a no-brainer IMO if the goal is to sell close to 100,000 tickets for UFC,” Ross wrote.”Adding a strong, Hispanic element to the show is needed too. Nonetheless I’d be willing to wager that WWE will still have more people in the stadium in April that UFC will in December no matter the card for UFC. The only way that WWE can fumble that one is to plan short-term and not listen to their fan base.”
- “Superfly” Jimmy Snuka, recently underwent surgery to remove stomach cancer, as he was diagnosed with last week. The doctors removed part of Snuka’s stomach and his lymph nodes, and it is believed that they were able to remove all of the cancer.