Hello Everyone and welcome to the WrestleToys Wrestling News August 19 2015 Edition!
Today is August 20th, 2015 so we will be going through the wrestling news that happened on the 19th and continue on to anything that has gone down today so far.
- Roman Reigns was a guest on The LAW: Live Audio Wrestling podcast this week to promote SummerSlam.Tidbits that he talked about involved his career, the reaction he got at the Royal Rumble, Daniel Bryan, Brock Lesnar, Big Show and more.Reigns said despite the fact that fans completely rejected his Royal Rumble win earlier this year, “it all happened for a reason.”
“In sports entertainment, professional wrestling, entertainment, storytelling, you can do anything, you can tell any story you want to. It’s difficult to say, especially within what we do, with hindsight. I think there is a lot of things we could have done or maybe thought about, but it is what it is, it really is. It all happened for a reason.”
“Bryan and myself were both hurt we were both coming back around similar times. 100% it didn’t help me coming back around the same time as Bryan, especially with everything he has gone though over the past year, year-and-a-half. People talk about getting through adversity and going through some tough stuff, the stuff that happened to Bryan, the ups and downs, I think everyone was rooting for him (Bryan), I was rooting for him. I still to this day root for him. I want to see Bryan back in a wrestling ring, tearing the house down with myself and all the rest of the boys.”
On the Rumble:
“It was just a tough situation, regardless of what happened or how we could have changed that night as far as responses, as far as having the crowd react properly to me, or how we wanted them to, it didn’t. But it helped me, it helped me grow, it left a huge impression on me, you know I thank Philly every day for that. You have to learn fast in this business and I’d like to think I’m doing that, but without that night, that was a huge kick in the ass, that lit a fire under me. If you’ve seen what I’ve done in the past six-months, I think you can tell Royal Rumble definitely helped me.”
- Hollywood Reporter reports that Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson will be starring in a big screen adaptation of the popular Jungle Cruise Disney theme park ride.Disney has reportedly been trying to get the movie made for over a decade (pretty much since it cashed in big with Pirates of the Caribbean, which was also based on a Disney ride). Jungle Cruise is one of Disneyland’s original attractions, and takes riders through Africa’s Nile and Congo rivers. The Rock had this to say:
“[Disney production president] Sean Bailey and Disney have been awesome partners and now the fun part begins … We’re starting to put in the work with Requa and Ficarra and our creative team. Fired up about this one. Here we go.”
The film will be written by John Requa and Glenn Ficarra (“Focus”) and Produced by John Davis and John Fox of Davis Entertainment, the banner behind Man From U.N.C.L.E..The movie is already in early development.
- Rajah.com reader Tom M put together some highlights of Wednesday morning’s conference call, led by WWE COO Triple H, to promote the NXT Takeover:Brooklyn live special on the WWE Network:
– Triple H said it’s a historic week for NXT as far as being its own brand and filling its own niche. SummerSlam weekend is a huge opportunity for the brand and at first he wasn’t a big fan of the idea of running Barclays Center. They wanted to curtain it off at 6,000 seats at first but those sold out before tickets officially went on sale, so they went to 13,000 seats. They are very excited about Takeover in New York City. He said if you can make it in NYC, you can make it anywhere.
– He talked about the card and pushed Jushin “Thunder” Liger, Samoa Joe vs. Corbin and the “dual main events” of Bayley vs. Sasha Banks and Kevin Owens vs. Finn Balor. He clarified his Twitter announcement and said all the matches revealed are not for the live WWE Network special. They will first film 90 minutes of NXT TV and then air the live two hour Takeover show.
– He announced the WWE Performance Center All-Access pass for September 28th. Tickets are on sale and the full details were posted earlier.
– They are looking at ideas in regards to doing NXT Takeover events before all major pay-per-views but he prefers when they piggyback NXT specials onto week-long WWE events to make the brand part of the entire experience.
– They’re proud of selling out the Barclays Center three nights in a row, noting he doesn’t know too many entertainment brands that can sell out NYC three straight nights. He says 2015 was to be the year they tried new things and NXT is unique. He doesn’t want it to be like RAW or SmackDown, it needs to have its own identity.
– He talked about Vince McMahon taking to which talents he wants to and that being a battle that will always have to be fought in NXT, in regards to talents coming to the main roster. He says he does not cherry-pick the indies, despite online rumors, and says he just wants talented new people, no matter where they come from – sports or the indies.
– He feels like a proud dad watching the “kids” going to the main roster and getting recognized. He talks about the Divas Revolution and is looking forward to them main eventing. He talks about Sasha Banks and Charlotte wanting to main event WrestleMania and doesn’t doubt it will happen.
– Regarding going up against ROH and a potential deal with EVOLVE to go after ROH, Triple H said it’s funny how people see things differently. He’s not trying to cause harm to ROH. He said other companies piggy-back off major WWE events and it makes sense for WWE to do the same thing. He says it’s part of the discovery process for the NXT brand. He says he was unaware of ROH running in Texas when they booked the Night of Champions weekend events. Regarding EVOLVE and Gabe Sapolsky, they are looking for quality events that can help support the business overall. He acknowledged that indies are important to the health of the business and doesn’t want to see anyone fail but he’s always going to do what’s right for WWE business. He says if that affects someone’s business plan, he can’t help that because WWE is priority for him.
– He talked about William Regal and others scouting and recruiting new talents all over the world, including Canada as the reporter asking the question was in Toronto. He mentioned talents get trained by right by people like Lance Storm and others in Canada, which leads to opportunities but not any additional opportunities.
– He talked about how there’s excitement all through NXT, talents are selling tickets and merchandise. They’re thinking about taking NXT international, to the UK. He’s always bragging on NXT to Vince McMahon and telling him to check stuff out. He says it’s more than just making sure WWE has future talents, that’s an important part of NXT but there’s a lot more.
– Regarding talents who get called up continuing to work NXT events, he says everyone wants to go to the main roster but NXT isn’t a bad spot to be in. He said they might move some talents who aren’t being used back down to NXT to revitalize them. He says there’s no rulebook for NXT, they can do anything with the brand.
– He had a lot of praise for Apollo Crews, the former Uhaa Nation. He’s looking forward to his debut at Takeover this weekend. He said Crews has the young, hungry fire and he’s looking forward to him being a huge star. He also said there will be other big debuts and fresh blood soon as others get called to the main roster.
- WWE Tough Enough continues its downward spiral as this week’s episode drew the lowest ratings of the season. The show drew a 0.67 rating with 988,000 viewers, down from last week’s 0.70 rating with 1.025 million viewers.
- According to the latest Wrestling Observer Newsletter WWE is interested independent wrestlers Biff Busick and Rich Swann
- 2KGames has released a video showing off WWE2K16‘s Create A Superstar Mode
- More high drama comes out of the “Tough Talk” Post-Tough Enough show on the WWE Network as Amanda and Sara Lee had a big confrontation on Tuesday show.Amanda claimed that she was only playing a role on the show, and wasn’t actually the person she was portraying. She also said that Sara Lee was playing a role as well, and her role was surrounded by a bit more controversy.”The most annoying thing about Sara is that she plays the role of the girl-next-door, and honestly, she’s not the girl-next-door.”I get a rep because of the way I look, and I think it’s kind of funny because maybe the reason she’s so ‘likable,’ because of being at the barracks every weekend practicing her moves, she’s playing ring rat,”The Tough Enough appeared shocked by Amanda’s claims. Sara Lee was shocked as well.”That’s not true, for the record,” said Sara. “She’s trying to get into my head, or the heads of the WWE Universe. She can say what she wants. She said herself she was going to try to plant seeds of doubt in my head.”
- WWE U.S. Champion John Cena granted his 500th wish through the Make-A-Wish Foundation while appearing on NBC’s “Today” show on Thursday morning.You can watch the video of Cena’s appearance at Today.com, as he meets Rocco Lanzer, an eight year old kid whom was diagnosed with Leukemia in January. Cena had previously visited young Rocco in the hospital a few months ago, but Rocco was too sick back then.Cena commented, “A lot of times when people donate time or resources, there’s a little speculation about where it goes. I’m at the finish line. I get to see the families; I get to see the joy and the hope that we bring. I’ll continue to be involved with Make-A-Wish as long as they’ll have me.”
John Cena brought Rocco a plethora of WWE gear, including tickets to an upcoming WWE RAW show. Cena will be celebrating his 500th wish at an event at Dave & Busters in Times Square in New York City on Friday. Stephanie McMahon, Sheamus and The Bella Twins are also scheduled to appear.
- Rajah has posted the following regarding an anonymous veteran and the “Divas Revolution”
One of the problems is that the women get worse in the ring on the main roster because three nights a week they are doing five-to-eight minute multiple-person matches, which means they generally do a couple of their regular spots and moves, as opposed to actually “working.”
Finally, the person saw what was basically a promo from Becky Lynch and Charlotte on Twitter, and noted that it was a considerable amount better than their RAW promos because they were just being themselves.
You can read the whole recap over at Rajah.com
Well I hope you enjoyed today’s wrestling news recap! Be sure to follow us and like us on all aspects of Social Media! We can be found on Twitter @WrestleToys and Facebook.